Friday 15 May 2020

Final Day Message



Later today we were scheduled to hold the Mayor-making ceremony, when I hand over the chains to my successor, Councillor Mark Childs. Unfortunately, that has had to be postponed and instead we will just have a simple signing of the oath, when the new Lord Mayor and his Deputy take on the responsibilities of the office, tucked away in the Mayor's parlour.

It is hoped to stage the pomp and ceremony at a later date, when I can thank everybody more effusively and talk about my Mayoral year, but in the meantime here is my final message as Lord Mayor to be going on with.

Thank you to all those who have supported Angela and me over the last 12 months, the Mansion House staff, the secretariat, the drivers, the communications team, and everybody else. I couldn't have done it without you.

And thank you to all the community groups, the choirs, the theatre groups, the artists, the societies and everybody else with whom we interacted. You are the heart and soul of our city, and it was a pleasure to meet you and play a small part in your activities. 

All of our activities over the past two years are reported on in this blog, so that you can see what a great time we had.

Best wishes to Mark and Marian. I hope that we can lift lockdown soon so that you can also enjoy a full and fulfilling year.

This will not be the last entry here. I will be reporting at some stage on the Lord Mayor's charity and inevitably, will eventually post my speech at the reconvened Mayor-making ceremony. Thank you all once more.


No comments:

Post a Comment