Tuesday 4 September 2018

Live and Let Dance


It has been over a month since my last engagement as Deputy Lord Mayor, so I was looking forward to last night's event, which was a performance by pupils of Mellin Theatre Arts at Swansea's Grand Theatre.

There are 100 pupils in this school ranging from 3 years old to very late teens, 97 of them are girls. Last night showcased the vast majority, if not all of those pupils. The school is the successor to the Grand Theatre Dance School and is run by Swansea-born Louise Mellin, assisted by a number of other teachers, including her sister, Laura.

Mellin Theatre Arts currently holds a 100% success rate in exams in Ballet, Tap and Modern including vocational grades up to Advanced One in all three genres.

The show itself was a triumph, performed to a professional standard and featuring some outstanding sole performances by youngsters who have a great future in front of them. The costumes were brilliant, as was the stage management. It must have taken months to prepare and it showed.

There was a Can Can, ballet, tap dancing, Acro dance and other modern forms of dance as well as a Cinderella Ballet.

At the end, I had my first experience of being on the Grand Theatre stage, when I was asked to say a few words. I was totally sincere when I described the experience as inspirational and said that it was a privilege to have been invited to see it.

I will certainly be encouraging people to go to the event when it is next staged.

No comments:

Post a Comment