Thursday 12 September 2019

Visit to Unity in Diversity

One of my three charities this year is Unity in Diversity, a group of individuals who are dedicated to supporting asylum seekers and refugees in Swansea. During their five-year existence the dedicated volunteers with this charity have helped over 500 asylum seekers and refugees with food, support and learning opportunities.

Although I have visited the group before I have not done so officially, so today I donned the Lord Mayor's chain and called into the Unitarian Church in High Street where they meet every Wednesday and Thursday evening.

I met many of the volunteers and trustees with the charity and also chatted with a number of the asylum seekers and refugees who attend there.

It is always frustrating listening to some of the stories of people who have fled persecution and violence only to come up against the impersonal rules and regulations of our immigration system, knowing that there is little that I can do to assist them. I give what advice I can but it always feels too little, too late.

At least Unity in Diversity offers some sort of safety net and I am pleased that by nominating them as one of the Lord Mayor's charities we can do some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment