Wednesday 25 September 2019

WCADA 40th Anniversary Annual Recovery Celebration

I first encountered the Welsh Centre for Action on Dependency and Addiction when I was an Assembly Member and interested in promoting policy on tackling drug and alcohol dependency. I met with the organisation a number of times, attended their AGM and visited their centres as part of my research and duty as a local AM.

It was a pleasure therefore to attend their 40th Anniversary Annual Recovery Celebration today as Lord Mayor at The Baglan Centre. WCADA has continued to grow since I first encountered them in 2000. In 2018/19 they engaged with over 21,000 people and delivered a number of distinctive services.

These include adult treatment services, older persons services, a needle and syringe programme, a young person service, a project for young people in conjunction with the Swansea City AFC Community Trust and the Domino Project, which involves engaging clients in gardening, music classes, structured walks and arts and crafts.

The event started with the WCADA band, and after the formal business of the annual report we heard some stories of people in recovery. I attended last year as Deputy Lord Mayor and I never cease to be moved listening to how the organisation has helped get people back into sobriety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment