Wednesday 27 November 2019

Lord Mayor's Column - 27th November 2019

We may be coming to the end of the city’s 50th anniversary year, but the number of groups joining me at the Mansion House to celebrate that event is increasing. The objective is to host fifty between 3 July and 10th December, and this week we took a considerable stride towards that target.

There are 6 community groups joining me this week. We started off with Brynmill Community Centre’s ‘Monday Club’ and Gowerton ladies’ choir ‘Voices in Harmony’ on Monday. The Brynmill Buddies Group and the veterans and poppy sellers from the Royal British Legion joined me yesterday.

Children from Burlais school council and choir, who sang at my inauguration, join me this morning, while Swansea Historical Society, who are celebrating their 10th anniversary, will be with me on Thursday.

On Saturday I will be at the Brangwyn Hall for Côr Meibion Pontarddulais Male Choir’s Annual concert. I am very much looking forward to hearing special guests Gwawr Edwards, Sioned Terry and Ellen Williams.

With less than a month to go before Christmas, there are plenty of festive celebrations this week too.

On Sunday I will be joining The West Glamorgan bench – consisting of current and former magistrates - as they hold their annual carol service at St Samlet’s Church in Llansamlet.

I will then return to the Mansion House for our annual Christmas evening and carols, which raises money for the Lord Mayor’s Charity Fund. This year we are fundraising for RSPCA’s Llys Nini, the homelessness charity Crisis and Unity in Diversity.

Tickets are still available, if you’d like to join me, priced at just £15 per person which includes refreshments, entertainment and of course, mulled wine and mince pies. Visit www.facebook.com/lordmayorswansea for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment