Wednesday 1 April 2020

Lord Mayor's Column - 1 April 2020

The Lord Mayor’s diary remains empty this week and for the foreseeable future because of the restrictions being imposed on all of us to try and limit the spread of COVID-19.

Along with many other people I am working from home, doing what I can to support the efforts of a huge team of dedicated staff in the health service, the council and local care companies to support the vulnerable and keep vital services on track.

Like other councillors, I am also dealing with queries from constituents, and trying to keep them informed of developments.

Last week I outlined the work of one of my three charities. Crisis Skylight South Wales who work with homeless people to try and help them acquire the skills needed to maintain accommodation and seek employment.

Swansea has a long history of integrating refugees from across the world into its own distinctive urban identity. That continues to the present day as we receive and house refugees and asylum seekers fleeing unbearable hardships caused by war, political persecution and climate change amongst many others.

That is why I chose as one of the Lord Mayor’s charities, an organisation called Unity in Diversity, that runs twice-weekly sessions providing food, support and learning opportunities to asylum seekers and refugees in the Swansea area.

They are run entirely by dedicated volunteers and have helped over 500 people of 40+ nationalities and ethnic origins in their 5 years of existence.

My third charity is the RSPA’s Llys Nini, which I will say more about next week.

If you would like to support the work of my charities then please send your donations (made out to the Lord Mayor’s Charity Fund) to my office in the Guildhall. Thank you and please stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment