Wednesday 22 April 2020

Lord Mayor’s Column - 22 April 2020

I am now in my final month as Lord Mayor and it must be said that I did not expect it to end this way.

After a busy ten months encompassing the City’s 50th anniversary celebrations and three freedom of the city celebrations, all events have been cancelled so that we can stay safe from coronavirus.

It has of course, been a privilege to hold the position of Lord Mayor, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have attended concerts in every part of Swansea, hosted fifty community groups at the Mansion House as part of our anniversary celebrations, been part of two royal visits, met Catherine Zeta Jones, Michael Douglas and Alun Wyn Jones, visited our twin city of Mannheim and spoken to children from a number of local schools.

I have kept a detailed diary of all my engagements as Deputy Lord Mayor and Lord Mayor on-line at http://swanseamayoralmusing.blogspot.com/ in addition to the official social media channels set up for the office.

I wanted, though, to highlight the fantastic team that makes this possible. As I often tell people at events, the real work is carried out by the staff in the Mansion House and the Guildhall. I am just the frontman.

I am still hopeful that we will be able to have a limited Mayor-making ceremony when I can hand over to my successor, and I can thank everybody properly for the brilliant job they have done in supporting me in this role, so this acknowledgement of their work is just a start.

In the meantime, if you would like to support my charities then please send your donation (made out to the Lord Mayor’s Charity Fund) to my office in the Guildhall. Thank you and stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment