Wednesday 8 April 2020

Lord Mayor's Column - 8th April 2020

With the Lord Mayor’s diary remaining empty because of the lockdown, and with all councillors focussing on offering support and information to vulnerable constituents, I have been using this column over the last few weeks to highlight the work of my charities.

Two weeks ago, I outlined the work of one of my three charities. Crisis Skylight South Wales who work with homeless people to try and help them acquire the skills needed to maintain accommodation and seek employment.

Last week, I talked about my second charity, an organisation called Unity in Diversity, that runs twice-weekly sessions providing food, support and learning opportunities to asylum seekers and refugees in the Swansea area.

My third charity, Swansea’s RSPCA Branch, was established by animal-loving volunteers in the Swansea and Neath areas nearly 200 years ago. The first animal centre was in Singleton Park and was leased from Swansea Corporation in 1935. It was able to house 31 dogs and 18 cats.

In 1997 the Animal Centre moved to Llys Nini Farm, where the charity provides animal welfare throughout Swansea, Neath Port Talbot, Bridgend and parts of Rhondda Cynon Taf and Cardiff council areas. Llys Nini helps over 2,000 animals each year and rehomes many of those, including my two rescue cats.

Many of you will have seen recently that the lockdown has forced Llys Nini to close down all their charity shops and left them struggling for funds to support the hundred-plus animals still at the centre. Any funds they receive directly at the moment will be most welcome.

If you would like to support the work of my charities then please send your donations (made out to the Lord Mayor’s Charity Fund) to my office in the Guildhall. Thank you and please stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment