Sunday 10 May 2020

Civic Engagements Week Ending 17 May 2020

This is the last civic engagements post I will be making as Lord Mayor, as I hand over to my successor, Mark Childs on Friday. Hand-over in these circumstances appears to an over-elaborate description as, due to the lockdown, I will not be present. Instead Mark and Mary Jones, his deputy, will just sign the oath of acceptance and take up what duties they are allowed for the time being.

The elaborate Mayor-making ceremony we normally have will have to wait for freer times, when people are able to mix socially once more without fear of catching COVID-19, if that happens at all during the forthcoming mayoral-year.

In the meantime, I do actually have one engagement this week. On Thursday I will be attending a virtual ceremony on International Dylan Thomas Day to watch the awarding of the £30,000 Dylan Thomas Prize for young writers aged 39 or younger. It will be available to view here from 7pm. 2020 marks the fifteenth anniversary of the Prize as well as Swansea University’s centenary year.

No comments:

Post a Comment