Wednesday 13 May 2020

Lord Mayor’s Column - 13 May 2020

This is my last week as Lord Mayor and my final column here, in that capacity.

Although the last two months have been quiet, it has nevertheless been a tumultuous year involving two royal visits, three freedom ceremonies, a great air show, a fantastic Christmas parade and numerous concerts, productions and charity events on top of the many groups we met in the Mansion House, and elsewhere, as part of the city’s 50th celebrations.

Despite the lockdown, I do have one last duty to perform before my successors take office on Friday. On Thursday evening I am attending the awarding of the annual Swansea University International Dylan Thomas Prize through the magic of the internet. This £30,000 Prize is awarded to the best published literary work in the English language, written by an author aged 39 or under.

In concluding, I wanted to thank all those who have helped and supported Angela and me throughout this Mayoral year and especially all those who have contributed to my charities – Llys Nini, Unity in Diversity and Crisis. You can still send cheques made out to the Lord Mayor’s Charity to my office at the Guildhall.

Thank you to all the councillors who bestowed this honour on me and supported me throughout the year, to Jo and Kath in the Lord Mayor’s Office and the communications team for organising my diary and providing support and back-up in innumerable other ways, to Karen in the Mansion House and the cooks, cleaners and servers who have done all the work at the many functions there, and to the drivers and mace bearers, who have made it possible to attend so many events.

Finally, my best wishes to my successor, Councillor Mark Childs and his deputy, Councillor Mary Jones. I hope your year is as eventful as ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment